Okanogan Chamber of Commerce
Position Title: Recreation and Events Coordinator
FLSA: Exempt (Full Time)
Immediate Supervisor: Okanogan Chamber of Commerce Board President (or their designee)
Under the general supervision of the Okanogan Chamber of Commerce, the Recreation and Events Coordinator is responsible for the supervision, planning, development, and evaluation of community recreation and tourism programs occurring at various community locales. This position is funding only for the first year and that Recreation and Events Coordinator will be responsible for fundraising future salary. This position also requires responsibility for analyzing community and group recreational needs, in selecting and adapting programs to meet those needs, in procuring the materials and resources necessary for implementing recreation programs, and in making the most effective use of the facilities and staff. The Recreation and Events Coordinator will perform tasks, which include leading, supervising and planning a variety of activities for youth and adults; recruiting, training and supervising volunteers and interns as needed to support local activities and events; and other related duties as required.
This is a highly responsible position working with the general public. Work on the weekends and evenings is required. Much work is performed outdoors and an employee is exposed to weather conditions including heat and cold. Work is reviewed through periodic observation by the Chamber of Commerce Board President (or designee/s) while in progress. This position is a salaried, year round, full time position with variable hours depending on the season and needs of the position.
The mission of the Okanogan Chamber of Commerce is to promote the development of downtown Okanogan through business, recreation, and tourism.
Duties and Responsibilities: (Not in hierarchical order)
- Develop a Community Calendar of Events and coordinate with other organizations who have their own calendars.
- Research and apply for grants to fund community and special events and future salary.
- Plan, organize and coordinate community-wide events and fundraisers including but not limited to Okanogan Days, Hoops for Hope, Harvest Festival and Get Lit.
- Manage the Okanogan Sports Plex including planning and coordinating baseball, softball and soccer tournaments to take place at the Sports Plex.
- Develop, coordinate and staff community recreation activities for youth and adults including, but not limited to:
- After school youth programs
- Mini-camps (art, music, science)
- Outdoor recreation activities for youth and adults
- Community art classes
- Collaborate with coordinators of other local/regional events and organizations to promote community participation and tourism.
- Collaborate with local school district and city regarding activities, special events, shared use of facilities.
- Market community, sporting and special events via email list, social media sites, Chamber of Commerce website, seasonal activity brochure, radio and print media.
- Assist with enforcement of rules and regulations at program sites and maintain safety of all patrons; confers with parents as needed.
- Promote local lodging to increase hotel/motel funds.
- Represent the Okanogan Chamber of Commerce under the direction of the Board of Directors at various community meetings such as the Okanogan Tourism Council.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Board of Directors of the Okanogan Chamber of Commerce.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The Recreation and Events Coordinator position requires knowledge of: modern and complex principles and practices of outcome-based planning, administering, evaluating, and coordinating of recreation and community services; principles and practices of multipurpose facility management, rental, operation and supervision; budget practices; modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers, marketing via multi-media avenues, principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation; pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations and principles and practices of basic first aid/CPR.
This position also requires the ability to: reach new patrons and develop a continuing base of support; supervise, direct and coordinate the work of volunteers and interns; coordinate and oversee usage of assigned recreational facilities; elicit community and organizational support for the assigned community recreation activities; interpret and explain recreation program policies and procedures; recognize and address the needs of conflicting and competing recreation patrons in the community; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, community stakeholders, community recreation activity patrons, local schools and chamber board members. The Recreation and Events Coordinator must be able to work weekends, evenings and some holidays. The Recreation and Events Coordinator is also required to work all community event days.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Recreation and Events Coordinator is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. There is a frequent need for the employee to sit, talk and hear. The Recreation and Events Coordinator frequently is required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The Recreation and Events Coordinator is frequently required to sit; climb and balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The Recreation and Events Coordinator must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds frequently and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing in the duties of this job, the Recreation and Events Coordinator regularly works in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to extreme heat.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Perform any other duties as needed and assigned by the Okanogan Chamber of Commerce Board President.
- Valid Washington Driver’s License and automotive insurance;
- Current First Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire;
- Current food handler’s permit or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
- Current M.A.S.T. alcohol servers permit or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
- Pass a criminal background check
- Over 21 years of age
- Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP).
- Bachelors Degree in Recreation/Tourism, Sports Management, Marketing/Events or Health and Wellness or some related field;
- One year experience with Community Programming;
- Three years experience with Event Planning;
- Experience with community fundraising;
- Successful grant writing experience